Nowa Wieś / Neudorf
18 km downstream of Płock on the left bank of the Vistula
Eduard Erich Kelm (1932-1940)
The German settlers in the area around Nowa Wieś lived in 36 villages, with mainly sandy soil and woodland. The main settlements were:
Dąb Wielki / Groß Dembe (1746), Duninów, Karolewo (1805), Ładne and Wola Brwileńska.
The parish Nowa Wieś was founded in 1843 by baron Karl Wilhelm von Ike. However his descendants did not support the parish with the same enthusiasm.
The Kantorat Ładne included the places Ładne, Mostki, Łączka, Wistki, Tylążno and Smólnik.
The parish was administered by the pastors of Płock, Gombin and Gostynin.
In 1810 a first teacher is mentioned for Dąb Wielki.
In 1870 a brick school and prayer house was built.
The erection of the church, that had been started in 1847 was finished in 1877.
The church was built in the Gothic style and was placed on a tree-covered hill only 200 meters from the bank of the Vistula.
Place where the Church of Nowa Wieś once was located - Photo by: Evelin Stein, 2003
Way to the former Lutheran Cemetery of Karolewo - Photo by: Evelin Stein, 2003
Former Lutheran Cemetery of Karolewo - Photo by: Evelin Stein, 2003
Former Lutheran Cemetery of Karolewo - grave Helene Stahl - Photo by: Evelin Stein, 2003
Eduard Kneifel: Die evangelisch-augsburgischen Gemeinden in Polen 1555-1939
© UpstreamVistula.org 2005